Happy New Year to you all! I know I’m a little behind, but that’s ok. It took me a few extra days to formulate the words I wanted to say.
I hope you all had a blessed holiday season filled with loved ones, relaxation and maybe a few treats too! This year Christmas was so fun in our house due to the ages of our kiddos. Our oldest, Josiah, is 4. He really started to understand what all was happening, especially the presents. But his delight was not for material goods as much as the experience of opening something special that was just for him. Every present he we thrilled to find “A BOX!!!” Honestly, he said that. It was magic. All our kids were spoiled in just the right amounts. And we were lucky enough to be sick before and after the holidays and fairly healthy on them! Haha!
I wanted to take a minute to share with you my “new year’s resolution.” I put this in quotes because I have mixed feelings on the whole idea of resolutions. Part of me says, what’s so different about this day, why not start ‘being better’on any other day. But the other part of me says, it’s a new beginning. We all need a new beginning, whether it is a new day, week or year. Each opportunity to start afresh is a great thing, and should be taken advantage of. So while it may just be another day, it’s a new day. Start new.
Above are Vision Board Pages I made to put in my planner to remind myself daily of where I’m going and why.
I have narrowed my resolution down to one word. Intention. Nine small letters filled with big meaning. Intention. I’ve been thinking, journaling, talking, and praying on this word this word for some time. Too often we hear the word “busy” thrown around. I’m too busy, my schedule is so busy, my life is busy. What does ‘busy’ mean?!? I started a new job a few months back that I LOVE. I have to document my day in this job and one of the key terms we often use is “person CHOOSES how to spend their free time.” We are encouraged to document on the free-will choices of the people we work. This of course sends me back to my own choices. I am not ‘too busy’ for anything. I have made a choice on how to spend my time. No one forces me to do anything. I chose. And thus, Intention. “Too busy” is an excuse. Priorities, people. If I choose to work extra and miss out of family time, that’s my choice. If I choose to work extra to make extra money towards a really good experience with my family, that’s my choice. My day is filled with opportunities. Some I take, some I don’t.
I no longer want to be caught in the churning current of life. My time is important. My energy is important. My passions are important. I want to use it in a more meaningful way. I am going to be INTENTIONAL with my time, energy and passion. Convenience is no longer going to rule me. I don’t want to waste away, using ‘busy’ as an excuse and watch life pass me by. Excuses are for watchers, Intentions are for DOERS. I want to be the DOER.
I want to have dreams and goals. But I also want accomplishments and memories.
So for the past nine days, I have been living it. Not just dreaming it. It’s a small start, but it’s a start nonetheless. Here are some of the things I’ve been doing to be a better me:
- I have been trying to plan my days with my kids, working to turn off the TV and turn on the doing. I struggle with this. I get tired and frustrated and want to just turn to the easy path. But then at the end of the day, I’m disappointed in myself for wasting another day with them, when I know the days are so precious and numbered. Even if the activity is washing the dishes, or cleaning the windows, if I’m joyful in the work, my kids are too. They just want to be with mom. I need to live in that desire.
- I have been trying to journal more. I’m a list maker, so my journaling is often list of things that are on my mind. But, it works for me, so I’m sticking to it.
- My husband and I are FINALLY taking a honeymoon, only 5 years and three kids late… We have decided that the time and money is greatly needed to invest in our relationship right now. We need to reconnect on a deeper level that we haven’t been able to reach lately. And the planner in me LOVES a trip to prepare for!
- I have started 21-day fix. I need to have my body in a better place. While round is a shape, it’s not the one I want to be in 🙂 I want my physical health to be in a better place so that I can offer my kids a better mom, and live a happier, healthier life.
- After watching my very dear friend track her happiness for a year, I too have begun tracking my happiness. I have a calendar and each day write on it something that made me/my family happy. I will choose to be happy in this crazy life.
I have started using instagram as my personal accountability tracker. I’m sure it’s super annoying for some people, but it’s for me, follow if you’d like. I like to post pictures of what I’m eating, planning, thinking or doing. It’s a record in pictures of how I’m CHOOSING to live life. I invite you to follow me if you’re interested in seeing how my intention flows- CLICK HERE.
This morning I shared on Instagram a picture of these YUMMY pancakes I had for breakfast! I wanted to share the recipes. The pumpkin pancakes are AMAZING- and taste very much like “regular” pancakes. They are not overly pumpkin-y. Find the recipe HERE. The banana pancakes are made using 1 medium banana, 2 eggs and a teaspoon of cinnamon, mashed to the consistency of your choosing. That’s it! I think they taste a bit like a banana bread. I topped them with fresh raspberries. It made for a great breakfast, plus lots of protein, vegetables and fruit along with just enough carbs! Happy eating!
Happy Harvesting and Intentional Choosing,